Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Success Through Difficulty

I stared at myself in the mirror as I loaded the barbell with weight to start my squats. I have to get my mind right before I start working legs, including a good warm up. Having had surgery on both of my hips I am more conscious of my form and foot placement. I plan out my workouts and I take my time as I work through each set and rep. But as I complete each set, I stop to stretch out my hip flexors and hamstrings. They start getting tight, feel like they're going to snap, and sometimes cramp up. It's uncomfortable. But as I get moving and push through my hips and body get warmer and I'm able to push through and move on. This happens every time I do legs.

But why? Why do something that's difficult? The end reward!

So many times when training I'll here:
1. It's Heavy!
2. It's Burning!
3. This hurts...
4. Why do I have to do this?
5. Can we do something easier?

My answers are as followed:
1. It's supposed to be...
2. Keep going...
3. Hurting or burn? Burning... Ok, keep going! (Big grin)
4. Because we can't reach your goals if I don't challenge you
5. Umm, good try.

I give these responses not because I'm heartless, but because I've been there. I've been overweight, I've had serious surgeries, I've had setbacks, I've had difficulties, I've struggled... and yet, I pushed onward. It's easy to think "this is uncomfortable" and quit. But I challenge you to take a step back and look at the lesson being taught through the difficulty.

I like the following scripture because it helps me to set my mind right about not being weak minded and giving up.

Colossians 1:11
"being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience"

Wherever you find your inner strength, I encourage you to refrain from fear and embrace the burn. Know and understand the lessons that are taught through fitness, are the same lessons that are taught in life. The burn, the sacrifice, the self-discipline, the sweat... it all makes you STRONGER. Uncomfortable? ABSOLUTLEY! But worth it? Even more so because you have a story to tell that goes along with your success to share with others just starting their journey. Be Relentless Always.

BeBlessed and know that your in my prayers.
A 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment