Thursday, June 18, 2020

Perspective

Welcome back! or welcome! I haven't written here in a good year. Mainly because I have been using other platforms like Facebook and Instagram to share my thoughts. But as this year of 2020 continues to unfold, I feel like I want to write. I want this year documented and I might be a little late starting in June, but better to start than to wish I had.

With the current events going on in this world, I scroll through my social media amazed at the anger and negativity coming from so many. I understand peoples worlds have been rocked and nobody seems to know up from down. People keep speaking about finding a new norm, but nobody can really seem to find what that actually means anymore. But I feel like I have some insight worth sharing.

I titled this blog post PERSPECTIVE because I feel like so many people are coming from their own perspective, and just yelling louder so they can be heard. It's like if you or someone has ever tried to speak to someone who doesn't speak your language, you end up yelling louder and louder trying to get them to understand you. But it's not your volume, they can HEAR you, but they can't understand you. It's a language barrier, NOT a volume issue. That's how I feel like everyone in society is currently acting right now. People just keep yelling and trying to get other people to understand THEIR point of view, they HEAR you, but it's like another language to them. There's a complete disconnect.

So here we all sit, all in our own corner mad because this or that person doesn't agree with us or our beliefs. We just keep shouting thinking the louder we shout, people will join our side. That is actually false. I remember being a little girl and yelling at my mother and she would say,

"until you can bring your tone of voice down and talk to me like an adult, I'm not going to listen to you."

And my mother would continue on about what she was doing and ignore until I changed my tone of voice and attitude. Why as adults are we throwing a temper tantrum for someone not doing what we want? That is selfish of us. We wouldn't let our kids act like so many of us are currently...

As I was thinking about this walking into my home this morning, I opened up my door and this horrible smell hit me in the face. 

"OH MYYYY GOODNESS!" I thought to myself, if the trash smelled this bad, why didn't I notice it before when I was walking out?

Well the reason is because it took me stepping outside my home and coming back in to realize that
something in my trash smelled horrible and I needed to take the trash out. And as I took my trash out to the dumpster, I realized that I probably wouldn't have noticed the smell was that bad because I was use to it. It didn't just go bad instantly, it slowly got that way and I was used to it.

It hit me in that moment, that people who are so angry and mad about the protests and don't believe that racism still exists are the same people who have never had another perspective. If and when we live in our perfect little white bubble, we don't understand what others go through. Some of us shouting racism doesn't exist, are the same people who don't have multiracial friends or family. Those who are shouting racism doesn't exist, don't have a black son or daughter. Those who are shouting racism doesn't exist have never been denied a job because of the color of their skin. Those who are shouting racism doesn't exist haven't been followed in a store because of their skin color.

Honestly, I could go on and on. But for those of us with White Privilege, we cannot say something
doesn't exist. That's like saying the wind does't exist because you've never seen it... yet, have you felt it?

I'm not here to cause a great debate, but as I've read many posts, articles, and have listened to Blacks speak of injustice, I know it exists. Heck, pick up a book about racial injustice. And all I ask is for you to look at it from another perspective than your own white lenses. I still to this day will say the best thing I ever did was to work a couple summers with World Impact. I remember so many lessons learned about injustice and my heart broke. I remember being the only white person in the store, gas station, or on the block. I remember being asked by other white people if I was scared to be where I was and I always thought that was the weirdest question. I never once felt in danger and so I ask you, what is your perspective? Who do you unknowing view as a threat? Where have you stepped outside of your own white privilege to learn or grow not only from the Black culture, but other cultures in general. I will say being a personal trainer has given me the opportunity to work with so many people of different cultures. Having tough conversations and hearing about injustice others face is UNCOMFORTABLE, but if you aren't willing to LISTEN, how will you know? How will you see things from another perspective?

Just like my trash smelling and me taking it out, I wouldn't have taken it out if I hadn't stepped outside and back it. I feel like with all that going on in the world, maybe the best fix is stepping out and step back in so we can see things from another perspective. 

And no, this post is not saying police lives don't matter. Please don't miss the point of the thoughts shared above.

PS. Check out World Impact or other organizations that will give you the opportunity to serve others, learn and grow outside of your own perspective. https://worldimpact.org/





No comments:

Post a Comment