Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Scale

 


Why is it that every time we jump on the scale, we hold are breath like we MIGHT be holding the million dollar lottery ticket?  Before we even step onto the scale, we think back through our week and remember the times we skipped the gym, the cheat foods we should have said no to, or begin to think about all the possible late night empty calories we had consumed. We step on to the scale and sometimes we jump right off disappointed, while other times we stand there and think, "How'd I lose weight with what I have consumed this past week?" Then we get excited thinking maybe we can keep doing what were doing and somehow those pounds will magically disappear.  However, days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months, and months into years and we end up packing on a good gut with some saddle bags and arm flab and wonder where it came from.


So what do we do? We get a personal trainer! That first week we're excited for our new body! We can't wait for people to notice our hard work and pat us on the back and we'll do anything our trainer says. But half way through week two... we're sore, tired, and tired of being sore! We've ate a couple more salads than normal and when it comes time to step on the scale, we FEEL like it should say, "minus 40 lbs". But reality is, after a week or two, your down 1-2 pounds or better yet... UP 4 pounds! You say to yourself, UGH! FORGET THIS! All this soreness, feeling of hunger, tiredness and hard work for nothing! I've been there!

AND THIS IS WHEN THE TYPICAL PERSON QUITS!

However, as a trainer, this is where I have to prove myself that I know what I'm doing. I try to help my clients understand my view.  You have asked for help, and are paying me to guide you in the right direction. I consider myself a health professional and frankly, I want you HEALTHY and losing weight. Sure, I could have you do endless hours of cardio, consume less calories, and you'd lose weight. HOWEVER, you wouldn't be HEALTHY. Most people would drop weight, but what about when you hit that plateau? The "Eat Less Calories, Burn More Calories" approach leaves men and women yo-yo-ing all their life! Where do you go after you meet your goal weight, but look in the mirror and still don't love your frame? There's no muscle there right?

My goal for all my clients is to start weight training, incorporate cardio in moderation, and ultimately understand the nutrients that are going into those calories they're consuming. To be healthy and lose weight, one cannot cut something completely out and be HEALTHY. Your body NEEDS fats, protein, and carbs. Even for people who say they don't eat ANY carbs... if your eating vegetables, your still consuming carbs! It truly does all come down to moderation. A balance in all we do is how we are able to find success. The scale isn't the ultimate bases for your self worth. I use a tape measure for all my clients. Sure, you can cheat your eating or your workouts, but the tape measure won't lie. It tells me if you really are gaining lean muscle. More muscle equals burning more fat at rest. No, it won't happen over night, but it's YOUR journey. So I encourage you to pick up the pieces you left when you last weighed yourself and commit to yourself that you'll stop quitting. Don't let the number on the scale determine WHO you are. Make the conscious effort to make this week be your best week.  Understand that the only person who fails, is one who stops trying. Make no excuses and get results!

Notice the difference in this woman's body transformation, but gain in weight.
Reason why the SCALE doesn't tell the whole story!


BeBlessed
Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment