Sunday, November 23, 2014

Change Isn't Bad

Last weekend I went out of town and trained at another Genesis facility. About the same set up, a few different machines, but overall nothing out of the ordinary. It was my leg day and I had 3-4 sets of 20 reps. I warmed up and then got to work. About an hour and a half later my friend and I wrapped up our workout and hit the shower. When I was grabbing my things to shower my legs were still shaking. It was nothing new to me, but the soreness the following day was a surprise! I hadn't been that sore in a while! I was more sore than usual. Then Monday, 48 hours later, I was basically immobile. When it came to demonstrating exercises to my clients at the gym, I looked ridiculous and chose to verbally walk them through what they needed to do. I was stretching and foam rolling like it was my second job. HOW did I make myself this sore?!?!

Then it occurred to me, I didn't talk to anyone while I was working out a the other gym. I didn't know anyone but my one friend that went to the gym with me. So I went in, put heavy weight on, finished each set and rep to my fullest, and walked out. I guess one would say, "I killed that workout"!  I wish this is how all my workouts went, but when you work where you train, one must also be approachable. Last thing I want is one of my new clients having a question and feeling like they can't ask me for help. I remember the feeling of entering a gym setting and not being sure where or what to do. I newbies feeling welcome, as well as other gym goers I'm surrounded by.

So then this last week I saw a woman I was familiar with from outside of the gym. She was working out and I hadn't ever seen her in the gym before. She was doing her thing! Then while my client was getting a drink she walked by me and I asked how her workout was going. Not the typical response, she said, TERRIBLE! I responded with, "oh yea?! Your killing it huh?!"
No... She said, 'this isn't my gym. I miss MY GYM!'

Heck, I have no idea WHERE she had been working out at before... but I sincerely felt bad for her. All night long while I was getting ready for bed, I kept thinking if there was anything I could do as an employee at the gym to better her experience. And I still haven't come to that conclusion.

But here's what I did conclude, we can accept a change... a different environment or we don't. WE have the option to decide how we will respond. From things like diet to things like workouts. So many times we get used to doing the same thing over and over, that we actually back slide. No, change isn't always fun or comfortable, but like I was reminded today at church... There's this refining process that actually makes us better. Diamonds are made out of coal and only through pressure are they made into diamonds. That's how I view fitness. If your tired of the old you, step outside of the comfort zone and try something new. Change things up. Try a new workout. Add more weight (with good form)... Do your workout backwards from how you do it.

I'm no expert, but even as I embark on my journey of making my way to the stage, I've learned that there are other ways of doing things. Sometimes it uncomfortable, but the outcome is better with a little sacrifice. So I ask you, what do you need to change to step up your game? I challenge you to try something new this week...

Happy Training to everyone working towards their goals, #YouGotThis!

BeBlessed
A

No comments:

Post a Comment