Sunday, May 22, 2016

Relationship w/ the Gym

I know I correlate a lot of church analogies with the gym, but this morning it was so evident to me. The pastor has been going through a sermon series called Relationship 101. We've gone through various scriptures learning about relationships with parents, children, coworkers, marriages, and today was about friendships.

The pastor read the following scripture: Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, own can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Like the pastor stated, many times this scripture is chosen for a wedding ceremony, however he opened my eyes to the importance of surrounding yourself with others who are willing to pour into you and vice versa. 

Two things have meaning,
1. A relationship with Christ
2. A relationship with Others

God has designed us to find significance in community. 
What's your community? For me, mine is the gym. 
I think back to what kept me moving forward in my fitness goals and many times it had a lot to do with relationships with people at my gym. Those with similar goals as myself I'm able to relate to and build a relationship with. Yes, I'm motivated and driven, but I need accountability. I have a Coach to give me feedback and challenge me to a higher level. I have individuals that I have made quality relationships with at the gym and they challenge me to be better. And when the devil wants to get the best of me, he allows me to get into my feelings and get down on myself. The devil does a good job of driving a wedge between those who encourage me to be better by keeping me so busy that I don't make time for those quality relationships where I can be filled up again.

Don't get me wrong, I need and love my alone time, but I need to be with people to grow. Growth happens through relationships. And that brings me to my next point, my clients. Many times I feel as if I'm more than just their personal trainer. I hear a lot of what is on their heart, from the good to the bad. But not only do I pray they are growing from my relationship with them, but I'm also growing from my relationship with them. So many times the people I train know far more than I do when it comes to all things pertaining to life. I respect them and I'm truly willing to learn from them and their experiences as well.

God designed us to face life together and designed us to come together to strengthen and support each other. And this is the bottom line of why I enjoy the gym so much. It has taught me so much more about myself. I've learned to stop giving up and giving up on myself. It has taught me to believe in me. The challenges of the gym has challenged me to become stronger mentally, physically, and emotionally. I see my clients strength and their potential even when they can't see it within themselves. I've said this time and time again, but your trainer of all people should be your number one supporter. And to all my clients, I am. I see your worth and I value you. I appreciate your friendships and I appreciate your willingness to share your life with me.

So maybe many think of the gym as just the gym, but the gym is my second home. It's my place of work, but I have the opportunity to work with some really awesome individuals. I have grown in the gym and for that, I am thankful for. And I will continue to grow physically, but also in
relationships with others.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment