Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Eating Disorder, Overcoming


Eating disorders.
There are many different types.  When I was younger, I categorized eating disorders as “Anorexia”, “Bulimia”, and “Binge eating”.  However there are others.  I’d like to touch on the one I struggled with all through my childhood, teen years, and college years. 
Over Eating.  “It’s a compulsive excessive consumption of food (bingeing), often thousands of calories at a time. People with Compulsive Overeating have what is characterized as an "addiction" to food. They often use food and eating as a way to hide from their emotions, to fill a void they feel inside, and to cope with daily stresses and problems in their lives. Common reasons for overeating include:
Emotional Comfort. Eating too fast. When eating out, “getting your money’s worth” mentality. “More is better”. Not paying attention while eating”. (Source: www.eatingdisorders.com)
This description defines me to a T.  I loved & craved salt, fried foods, and greasy foods.  I loved to drizzle and dunk everything from fries to pizza and sandwiches in ranch dressing.  Anything out of a box was ALL me.  I’ll admit that when I was in elementary school, I’d come home to an empty house where I’d make Hamburger Helper, Tuna Helper, Mac N’ Cheese, and Fried Chicken T.V. dinners- I’d sit in front of the T.V. and finish everything I made while enjoying after school sitcoms.  When my parents would get home from work later in the evening, I’d eat again.  Why?!  I was addicted.  Eating made me feel good.  But only for a little while. 
I struggled academically all through school because reading was very difficult for me.  It wasn’t till the end of my 6th grade year when it was corrected.  I had to work very hard in school to get the grades I desired.  I’m a very compassionate person as well.  I care for others before myself and tend to take on more than I can handle.  I’m not good a saying no, and rarely say no.  When I couldn’t cope, I chose food to aid my feelings of anxiety, fear, and sadness.  This all built up to 226lbs.  During that time, I had 2 surgeries to put pins and screws in both my right & left hips.  I was so over weight that the pressure was harming my joints.  I also had my gallbladder out in 5th grade. 
I tell you this to describe how ‘unhealthy’ I really was.  I fought with myself.  In my mind I saw it as “I’ll make fun of myself before others can”.  I hated myself inside and out.  It wasn’t till these last two years where I was able to love myself.  I had my thyroid checked & was placed on medication to manage my thyroid levels.  I changed my lifestyle to Clean Eating and have had great results.
But 90lbs down physically, greater results have come within my heart.  Scriptures tell me “I’m created in his image” (Genesis 1:27), “He clearly has shown his love for us by death on the cross” (Romans 5:8), and that “He knew me before I was formed in my mother’s womb” (Jeremiah 1:5).   
>>I am loved and cared for.  “For I know the plans I have for you”, declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11
Success has come in learning how to take care of my body.  It needs feed, but not excessively.  It needs food, but food that is nourishing.  And when I’m overwhelmed and stressed, just going for a walk is beneficial-I don’t need food to cope.  We have to remember “our bodies are God's temples and that God's Spirit dwells within us” (1 Cor 3:16).  Honor him by how you treat your body.
For any misconception: I’m not on a diet, I’ve changed my lifestyle.  I’m chasing ‘fit’ not ‘Skinny’.  My prayer for you is that you’ll know how much you are loved.  That we have been given a gift of life, & that you may honor him in word and deed.
Lastly, if you struggle with one of these disorders, seek out help.  We aren’t meant to be on this journey alone.  God is with us, but it’s always better to have a friend- Iron sharpens Iron.
May you #beBlessed this week.
Love -A

Before

My progress so far... (2yrs later)

5 comments:

  1. As always, inspiring is an understatement. I still have days of thouands of calories of mindless eating. Luckily I don't string too many in a row. What's important is to realize that you are not a bad person for overeating.... And no! It doesn't make you a freak; it makes you human.
    What makes you ultimately successful is the ability to make small changes that you can stick with every day. With each small change comes mini victories. Mini Victories lead to increased self confidence. Give yourself something to be confident about! Give yourself a mini win. The big prize will be that much closer with each small victory under ytour belt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a truly wonderful story. You are an amazing person and I am so happy to see that you have been succesful in your clean eating but more importantly I am happy you are happy. I love how you said "I'm chasing Fit not Skinny" This is wonderful. I think a lot of people need to realize fit over "skinny" is much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you recognized your eating disorder at such a young age is amazing. Too often this problem goes unchecked for years & there is alot of damage done to the body in that time. It's a blessing to have you as my 'Sister in Iron' & will MISS YOU when you can't be at the gym with me:( Keep up your unwavering awe-inspiring journey!!

    Luvu BOOM-Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you each one for taking the time to respond and give feed back! I value it a lot and happy that we can all use each other for support. Love to all 3 of you~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post, Alison! Weather we are compulsive eaters are not, I think we all have had a time when we have felt like this! Great insight-I appreciate you being so honest! And you look HOT!!

    ReplyDelete