Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Love Yourself Enough!





I guess it’s no surprise to you all that I have another GymStory!  As this new year has begun, I have been able to see a lot of “The Old Alison” in the new comers at the gym.  I share this with you not because I’m a creep at the gym, but because I notice others doing the same thing I ‘used’ to do.
This morning I had just got done teaching spin.  I needed a shower and as I was gathering my things that had tumbled out of my locker, I noticed a woman about my age or a tad bit older getting ready for work.  She had her black slacks on and a nice set of heels.  As all ladies know, you finish straightening your hair before you put your final layer of clothing on. 
Well, this gal was just finishing up, and threw a black sweater over her tank.  She walked over to the mirror and with a disgusted face and sigh, she took it back off.  She went back to her locker and put a different black shirt on.  She walked over the mirror again, deep sigh, and walked back to her locker. Thirdly, she pulled out another back shirt from her locker, one very similar to the first black sweater she had.  Looking at the clock, and a little faster walked over to the mirror, smoothed out the wrinkles, but let out another deep sigh and then walked back to her locker.  I wondered to myself, ‘does she have more shirts in there?’  However, she quickly gathered up her shirts and packed her gym bag up.  And what looked like a last ditch effort, she threw on a black (less fitted) NorthFace jacket and said, “Well I’ll just wear this all day!” 
Now any of you can ask my mother or college roommates… that there were days I literally would go through every single shirt and pant just trying to find the right outfit that I ‘looked’ good in.  In my mind I knew what I wanted to wear and how it was supposed to look.  But when I looked in the mirror, all I could see was how big I was.  The reality, 90lbs overweight, nothing looks good!  So many times I would stand in front of the mirror just eyeing every  part of myself that I hated and wishing the fat would melt away.
I could relate to this woman this morning.  I once was there.  And as the last ditch effort, you through a hoodie or jacket on because it hides the fat, or at least helps cover the fat up. 
I’m here to say, the only way to look in the mirror and be happy with how you look, is by first loving yourself.  You have to love yourself enough to take care of yourself.  You have to love yourself enough to say no to the breads, pastas, creamy sauces, high sodium, and sugar.  You have to CHOSE to eat clean and workout and drink lots of water.  Yes, I hate getting up early and sweating, but it’s a great feeling when I’m done.  It’s a great feeling to look in the mirror and see the results paying off as well.  Fam, you have to take care of yourself.  Love yourself.  Love God and know who you are in Him.
BeBlessed, and as always, your thoughts are always welcomed my way!
A


No comments:

Post a Comment