Saturday, November 23, 2013

Nutrition is EVERYTHING

I used to be the "fat girl"... Then the "girl who lost 90lbs" and then I got stuck! So many time people lose weight and sadly, gain it all back. That is exactly what I didn't want. I didn't want to be the Success Story that went bad after a few years and so I kept setting small goals. I would run 5K's, 10K's, got certified as a Zumba and spinning instructor, then certified as a personal trainer. But last January, I decided I was going to start training for another 1/2 marathon. I started my running, but my back and hips were killing me. For those who are unaware, I've had two hip surgeries where my doctor had to place 2 pins and a screw in each hip. The running was killing me. It was then I decided the running wasn't doing much for me except killing me and I needed to refocus and find another goal. I started spending more time in the weight room and loving my results. I had always been a Cardio Queen! As I continued lifting, I started to watch these female competitors that I found on my social media. I decided that getting on stage was going to be my next goal. And it is! But what I didn't understand, was the training.


Training for a competition is so much different than losing weight for health reasons. I thought, one just had to workout a lot and cut calories. And thinking I knew what I was doing, I tried it on my own. But my weight started to go up. Nothing drastic, but enough to realize I needed more guidance and help. When you don't know something, ASK for help! I started asking my followers on Twitter and Instagram who are competitors and realized that I had opened Pandora's box. I wasn't turned off though. I decided I was going to get real help and get a coach.

Which leads me to the last 6 weeks being the biggest learning experience of my life. For my birthday I went and visited a friend who competes in Figure so I could get my feet wet and decide if it's something that really interested me. And it did! It blew my mind how training for a show is so strategic. Everything is mapped out until ones show. You can't be all for it one day and then not the next day. One has to fully commit to doing a show, the workouts, but most importantly... The diet. Eating has ALWAYS been my biggest struggle, but that's why I love this. I never want to be so enslaved by food that I lack control. Someone asked me

"How can you be so strict with what you put in your mouth and be so dedicated to tracking your food consumption?" My response, "Don't look at practicing self control with food as your being punished or that your missing out on something. We eat to live, not live to eat." 

Anyways, I'm embarking on the unknown for me. It's not easy, sure I want to grab a bag of chips or eat a candy bar whenever I want to. Everyday I'm faced with food. Good choices of food and not so good choices. I ask myself "Is consuming this getting me a step closer to my goal?" If the answer is no, I practice self control and just don't eat it. And it's paying off! The scale is going in the direction my coach wants it and I'm getting stronger. I'm finding ways to cook, bake, and prepare food that I haven't done before because I'm reading, YouTube-ing videos, conversing with others who are like minded. Everyday I'm learning something new! And that's what I love. I love being challenged. I love watching my body change. I love knowing that if I keep my mind right, the body will follow. As soon as I allow self doubt and pity to enter my mind and heart, Game Over! I am in control of me. That's why I share my story. I share to provide an insight of how Success is EARNED and not given. 

I pray for each of you. That you may know the strength you have within you. I pray that you'll understand your self worth to practices the discipline you need to achieve the goals you have set. May God ALWAYS be honored and glorified.

BeBlessed
A
 

No comments:

Post a Comment